The postgraduate Department of Biotechnology was founded in 2006, and since then, has always endeavoured to keep its students on par with recent trends in this rapidly evolving field. As an amalgamation of all the foundational courses in the Life Sciences, Biotechnology has opened up a wide range of areas of study and research such as Stem Cell Technology, Animal Biotechnology, Immunology, Nanotechnology and Industrial Biotechnology, all of which have a tremendous power to both help and change society.
The Department aims to impart quality education to students, prepare them for new research challenges and to create and foster technology for the uplift of society. The two year programme offered by the Department ensures that students develop the necessary skills to enter the Biotechnology job sector.
The Department has a well-equipped laboratory with modern equipment: a Nu- 4750E CO2 incubator, a UV-visible spectrophotometer, a PCR machine, monocular and binocular microscopes, a vacuum pressure pump, B.O.D incubator, -200C freezer, a UV transilluminator, a gel documentation system and a hot air oven, all of which enable the student to carry out basic research activities under the guidance of the faculty.
The three-month research projects, taken up during their final semester help the students to put their knowledge to use and sharpen their analytical, research and reasoning skills. Inter-disciplinary research is encouraged by the Department. The dissertation and viva voce pave the way for future doctoral research.
The Department organises guest lectures by eminent scientists from Research Institutes to provide exposure in research areas. Field visits to Industrial and Research Institutes are regularly arranged. Students present papers to their fellow students as part of the activities of the Departmental Journal Club and also attend intercollegiate seminars and conferences where they present papers and posters.
M.Sc. - Biotechnology
- Microbiology - Practicals
- Molecular Biology
- Biochemistry and Molecular Biology - Practicals
- Recombinant DNA Technology
- Recombinant DNA Technology - Practicals
- Animal and Plant Biotechnology
- Animal and Plant Biotechnology - Practicals
- Bioprocess and Enzyme Technology
- Bioprocess and Enzyme Technology - Practicals
- Enzyme and Bioprocess Technology
- Enzyme and Bioprocess Technology - Practical
- Immunology - Practicals
- Stem Cell and Tissue Engineering
- Food and Pharmaceutical Biotechnology
- Research Methodology and Biostatistics
- Biophysics and Bioinstrumentation
- Patenting and Entrepreneurship
- Environmental Biotechnology
- Marine Biotechnology
Independent Study Courses
- Molecular Oncology
The Department offers the following Post Graduate Elective courses to students of other departments:
- Applications of Biotechnology
- Human Genetics