The academic year 2008-2009 saw the beginning of an important project of the college - 'Stellarchives' . Encouraged by Dr. Sr. Helen Vincent fmm (Secretary), Sr. Susan fmm, (Superior) and Dr. Sr. Jasintha Quadras fmm (Principal), a team of three - Ms. Gita Balachandran, Dr. Agnes Fernando and Sr. Nirmala fmm - under the leadership of Ms. Gita Balachandran (the former Librarian of the College and currently the College Archivist) was formed to take up this important and challenging project.
Designed and planned by Ms. Gita Balachandran, Stellarchives is a state-of-the-art archive and has been fully operational since June 2012.
Located on the mezzanine floor in the Stella Maris College Library the Stellarchives houses the archival collections which document the history of the institution from its founding in 1947 to the present day. A fascinating room, the wooden and glass paneled Stellarchives smells of perfumed oils and herbs. The temperature and humidity is controlled. The shelves are brushed with lemon grass oil, and special herbs packed in pouches are tucked into corners - all measures to preserve the contents of this room and keep them safe from decay.
The exhibits in the archives include:
- A portrait gallery of the Principals of the College from 1947 to the present day.
- Photographs, manuscripts, rare books, artifacts and ephemerals as well as copies of all College publications, annual magazines, calendars, departmental journals and campus newspapers.
- Books and articles authored by former students and faculty of the college.
- Photos, media coverage, posters and brochures related to the lighter side of a Stella Marian's life both within and outside the campus.
- An extensive collection of materials on student/faculty experiences and College memorabilia such as the College seal, logo, printing blocks, banners, flags and bells.
- Copies of the Principals' College Day Reports and speeches (voice recordings where possible),
- Unpublished manuscripts of significant correspondence and documents.
- Photographs of distinguished Alumnae, faculty who have held important posts and Students' Union Office bearers down the years.
- The College Visitors' Book
- Books autographed by their authors.
- Records of projects carried out by the various departments in the College.
- The Logos of the Students' Unions
- The College Anthem
- Information on the Sisters of the Society of the Franciscan Missionaries of Mary who formed the management of the College and who have played a significant role in the growth and development of the College.
- Copies of invitations to College Day Programmes, Convocations, Seminars, Conferences and Workshops held in the college.
- A manuscript collection consisting primarily of unpublished documents such as letters and speeches.
- Original blueprints of the College buildings
- A photograph collection (with negatives wherever possible) from the beginning of the College and including photographs of students, faculty and staff.
While the collection focuses primarily on the history of Stella Maris College, photographs on other related subjects, such as facets of evolving dress codes and life styles as seen in the students of the past and the present, their families and the society of the times, as well as geographical changes in the vicinity of the College are on display. Photographs of College buildings document the changes in architectural styles and the growth of infrastructure on campus since the College was founded. The holdings are accessible to all in digitized form. The preserved originals are available only for restricted viewing.